Himmler, the Ahnenerbe and the Wewelsburg

T H E    A H N E N E R B E

The Ahnenerbe was a Nazi German think tank that promoted itself as a “study society for Intellectual Ancient History.”
The name of the society literally means “ancestral heritage”, and it was originally devoted to scientific researches concerning the anthropological and cultural history of the German race. Their headquarters was at Wewelsburg castle.
Their initial aim was to prove Nazi theories of racial superiority through historical, anthropological, and archaeological research.
Many of their interests extended beyond science into occultism.
This led to Nazi scientists traveling around the world in search of Atlantis and the Holy Grail, and some believe that the Ahnenerbe sought “portals” to God.
Growing out of the Ahnenerbe-SS, the Thule Gesellschaft and the general Nazi interest in the occult, was Karotechia (see below) – a secret organization in Nazi Germany dedicated to the research and use of occult forces for the Third Reich.

The Ancestral Heritage Research and Teaching Society, or Ahnenerbe Forschungs-und Lehrgemeinschaft, was founded in July 1935 by Heinrich Himmler, Hermann Wirth (see left) (a Dutch historian obsessed with Atlantean mythology), and Richard Walter Darré (see right)(creator of the Nazi ‘Blut und Boden’ (blood and soil) ideology and head of the Race and Settlement Office).

BLUT UND BODEN

Blut und Boden refers to an ideology that focuses on ethnicity based on two factors, descent (Blood (of a volk) and Heimat (homeland) (Soil).
It celebrates the relationship of a people to the land they occupy and cultivate, and it places a high value on the virtues of rural living.

The German expression was coined in the late 19th century, in tracts espousing racialism and national romanticism.
It produced a regionalist literature, with some social criticism.
This romantic attachment was widespread prior to the rise of the Nazis.
Ultranationalists predating the Nazis often supported country living as more healthy, with the Artaman League sending urban children to the countryside to work in part in hopes of transforming them into Wehrbaueren.

Richard Walther Darré popularized the phrase at the time of the rise of Nazi Germany; he wrote a book called ‘Neuadel aus Blut und Boden’ (A New Aristocracy Based On Blood And Soil) in 1930, which proposed a systemic eugenics program, arguing for breeding as a cure-all for all the problems plaguing the state.
Darré was an influential member of the Nazi party and a noted race theorist who assisted the party greatly in gaining support among common Germans outside the cities.
Prior to their ascension to power, Nazis called for a return from the cities to the countryside.
This agrarian sentiment allowed opposition to both the middle class and the aristocracy, and presented the farmer as a superior figure beside the moral swamp of the city.

The doctrine not only called for a “back to the land” approach and re-adoption of rural values; it held that German land was bound, perhaps mystically, to German blood.
Peasants were the Nazi cultural heroes, who held charge of German racial stock and German history — as when a memorial of a medieval peasant uprising was the occasion for a speech by Darré praising them as force and purifier of German history.
This would also lead them to understand the natural order better, and in the end, only the man who worked the land really possessed it.
It contributed to the Nazi ideal of a woman: a sturdy peasant, who worked the land and bore strong children, contributing to praise for athletic women tanned by outdoor work.
That country women gave birth to more children than city ones also was a factor in the support.
It was also argued that a people would develop laws appropriate to its “blood and soil” because authenticity required loyalty to the Volk over abstract universals.
The SS and the Ahnenerbe, under Heinrich Himmler, in general supported and encouraged the Blut und Boden ideology.

THE  AHNENERBE

There is some evidence that the Ahnenerbe existed as early as 1928, when Wirth established the “Hermann Wirth Society” for teaching and spreading his theories.
Another candidate for precursor of the Ahnenerbe was a research institute for “spiritual prehistory” created by the German state of Mecklenburg in 1932, when the state was governed by the NSDAP.

Formally, the group was called Studiengesellschaft für Geistesurgeschichte‚ Deutsches Ahnenerbe e.V. (“Study society for primordial intellectual history, German Ancestral Heritage, registered society”), and was renamed in 1937, as Forschungs- und Lehrgemeinschaft das Ahnenerbe e.V. (“Research and Teaching Community the Ancestral Heritage, registered society”).
The emblem chosen for the Ahnenerbe was the Irminsul (see left below).
Irmin  was an aspect, Avatar or epithet of Wodan (Odin).
Irmin might also have been an epithet of the god Ziu (Tyr) in early Germanic times, only later transferred to Odin.
The Old Norse form of Irmin is Jörmunr, which just like Yggr was one of the names of Odin.

Yggdrasil (“Yggr’s horse”) was the yew or ash tree from which Odin sacrificed himself, and which connected the nine worlds. Jakob Grimm connects the name Irmin with Old Norse terms like iörmungrund (“great ground”, i.e. the Earth) or iörmungandr (“great snake”, i.e. the Midgard serpent).
It is thus often conjectured that the Irminsul was a World tree, the equivalent of Yggdrasil among the Saxon tribes of Germany.
The linguistic connection between Irmin- and iörmun/jörmun- is generally accepted, but the terms simply mean “great/mighty” or “rising high”.
It is easy to see how “The great one” or “The exalted one” could become a by-name of Odin, and become known as “great pillar” instead of “Irmin’s pillar” or “Odin’s pillar”.

The Ahnenerbe was created as a registered club as a private and non-profit organization. Funding for the Ahnenerbe primarily came through Darré and his position within the German Ministry of Agriculture, but this association ended around 1936, leaving Himmler in total control of the Ahnenerbe.
The Ahnenerbe was not incorporated into the SS until April 1940, though even before this, all but one member of the academic  staff of the Ahnenerbe were at least honorary members of the SS and many held significant rank.
Wolfram Sievers was Reichsgeschäftsführer, or Reich Manager, of the Ahnenerbe from 1935, and held the rank of SS-Obersturmführer since 1937, rising to the rank of SS-Standartenführer by the end of the war.
There was an obvious link between the SS and the Ahnenerbe long before it became official in 1940.




 Sievers & Wüst
Wolfram Sievers (see right) was appointed Reichsgeschäftsführer, or General Secretary, of the Ahnenerbe, by Himmler.
On February 1 of that year, Dr. Walther Wüst (see left) was appointed the president of the Ahnenerbe.
Wüst was an expert on India and a dean at Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, working on the side as a Vertrauensmann for the SS Security Service.
Referred to as “The Orientalist” by Sievers, Wüst had been recruited by him in May 1936 because of his ability to simplify science for the common man.
After being appointed president, Wüst began improving the Ahnenerbe: moving the office to a new headquarters that had cost 300,000 Reichsmark, in the Dahlem neighborhood of Berlin.

He also worked to limit the influence of “those he deemed scholarly upstarts,” which included cutting communication with the RuSHA office of Karl Maria Wiligut (see left).

The organization was incorporated into the larger SS in January 1939.
The Ahnenerbe had several different institutions or sections for its departments of research.
Most of these were archeological but others included the Pflegestätte für Wetterkunde (Meteorology Section) headed by Obersturmführer Dr. Hans Robert Scultetus, founded on the basis that Hans Hörbiger’s “Welteislehre” could be used to provide accurate long-range weather forecasts, and a section devoted to
musicology, whose aim was to determine “the essence” of German music.
It recorded folk music in expeditions to Finland and the Faroe Islands, from ethnic Germans of the occupied territories, and in South Tyrol.
The section made sound recordings, transcribed manuscripts and songbooks, and photographed and filmed instrument use and folk dances.
The lur, a Bronze Age musical instrument, became central to this research, which concluded that Germanic consonance was in direct conflict to Jewish atonalism.
The Ahnenerbe was part of Himmler’s greater plan for the systematic creation of a “Germanic” culture that would replace Christianity in the Greater Germany to exist after the war, a kind of SS-religion that would form the basis of the new world order.
This new culture would be based on the völkisch beliefs of the Nazis, and it was the role of the Ahnenerbe to marshal scientific research in an interdisciplinary program to reject the “priggish line of high-school professors” and support the “development of the Germanic heritage”.

Management & Finance of the Ahnenerbe
Himmler himself served as the “chairman of the Kuratorium” of the Ahnenerbe, and held the real power within the Ahnenerbe.
As Reich Manager of the Ahnenerbe, Wolfram Sievers was responsible for all administrative tasks, with day-to-day business matters handled by the deputy “Kurator” Dr. Herrman Reischle. Professor Walter Wüst joined the Ahnenerbe in 1937 and, as trustee and “Kurator” of the organization, replaced Hermann Wirth as its intellectual leader.
Wüst had been dean of the University of Munich, and his presence brought a number of reputable academics into the Ahnenerbe.
The Ahnenerbe was funded by the Ahnenerbe-Stiftung, the German Forschungsgemeinschaft, member fees, and “from funds of the Reich and from contributions of industry” (including a group of financiers called the Circle of Friends led by Wilhelm Keppler).
The budget of the Ahnenerbe was as much as over one million German marks (400,000 American dollars).
Besides financial support, enlistment in the Ahnenerbe was attractive as it placed scholars in the academic elite of Nazi Germany, gaining them the patronage of the Reichsführer-SS himself.
A central function of the Ahnenerbe was the publication of materials as part of the effort to investigate and “revive” Germanic traditions.
Before the war, the Ahnenerbe set up its own publishing house in the academic suburb Berlin-Dahlem, and went on to produce a monthly magazine (Germanien), two journals on genealogy (Zeitschrift für Namenforschung and Das Sippenzeichen), and countless monographs.
The Ahnenerbe had fifty different research branches named “Institutes”, which carried out more than one hundred extensive research projects.
Some of the institutes, particularly those responsible for Tibetan research and archaeological expeditions, could be quite large, but most made do with less than a dozen personnel.

The Runes & Nordic Mythology

Linguistic study was at the forefront of Ahnenerbe activity.
ZThe first institute to be established specialized in the study of Norse runes (the symbol of the Ahnenerbe was the life rune).

This institute was under the command of Hermann Wirth (see left) until he left the Ahnenerbe in 1937.

In 1936, Wirth’s successor, Professor Wüst, headed up another institute for broader research in linguistics, where great attention was paid to Sanskrit (Wüst’s area-of-expertise) and the connection of the language to the Aryans.
Runes are equivalent to the Roman, Greek, Cyrillic, or Hebrew alphabets. But they are much more than an alphabet. “Rune” means “secret”, “mystery”, or “hidden”, and is related to the German raunen, meaning “to whisper”, and the Irish run, meaning “a secret.”

The Ahnenerbe had an Institute to study the Eddas (considered by Himmler a sacred text) and Iceland itself (see right) , which the Ahnenerbe considered something of a holy land, like Tibet.
Based on the ariosophical beliefs like those that gave rise to the Thule Gesellschaft, the Ahnenerbe saw Iceland as the last surviving connection with Thule, the mystical homeland of the pure Germanic race of prehistory.
The Eddas contained secret knowledge for the Ahnenerbe, keys by which they could unlock their ancestral heritage.
Besides study of the Eddas, the Ahnenerbe also wanted to study Icelandic artifacts, and, as they had in Tibet, perform “the recording of human images”, using calipers to measure facial dimensions based on ethnological science.
The Ahnenerbe succeeded in sending a mission to Iceland in 1938.
On orders from Himmler himself, the expedition was to search for a hof, a place of worship of Norse gods such as Thor and Odin.
The Ahnenerbe also had a department to research the ‘Welteislehre’ (World Ice Theory) of Hans Hörbiger (see right), under the command of Dr. Hans Robert Scultetus.
This theory was based on the Blavatsky thesis that there had been several moons in the past, that the approach of these moons results in a polar shift and a cataclysmic Ice Age, which are responsible for the fall and rise of the various root-races of Theosophy.
According to the theory, the world itself was created when a giant chunk of ice collided with the sun.

Hörbiger died in 1931, but his theory was adopted by some Theosophists, who used it to prove the existence of Andean civilization with parallels to Atlantis and Thule (this may have been part of the reason behind Ahnenerbe expeditions to South America), and by Himmler and the Ahnenerbe, as “our Nordic ancestors grew strong amidst the ice and snow, and this is why a belief in a world of ice is the natural heritage of Nordic men”.
The Ahnenerbe were most concerned with practical applications of the ‘World Ice Theory’ focused on meteorology, vital to military operations.
Scultetus sent Edmund Kiß, a German playwright well-known for his novels on Atlantis, to Abyssinia to find evidence to support the ‘World Ice Theory’.
German rocketry may have even been delayed because of fears based on Hörbiger’s theory that a rocket released into space would initiate a global catastrophe.

Archaeology

The Institute for Germanic Archaeology was created in 1938.
Himmler saw the potential of archaeology as a political tool.
He needed archaeology to provide an identity for his SS, but Himmler also believed that archaeology had a certain religious content.

There were excavations; there were myths and legends, a feeling of superiority.
He believed by drawing on the power of prehistory one would achieve success in the present day.
Archaeological excavations were conducted in Germany at Paderborn, Detmold, Haithabu, and at Externsteine (see left).
Haithabu, which is still recognized by archaeologists as an important site for medieval Norse artifacts, is in an area of northern Germany near the Danish border, and is very close to Detmold and Externsteine, the site of a much-reputed Aryan temple and which some legends connected with Yggdrasil, the “World-Ash” (see right) of Norse mythology.
Externsteine is also close to Paderborn and Wewelsburg, and the entire sites compromised for the Ahnenerbe a mythological heartland where the Saxons resisted the Romans and their heirs, the Franks of Charlemagne.
The area was also sympathetic to the ideology of the Ahnenerbe, as Detmold was one of the first German states to elect an NSDAP government, and Paderborn and Wewelsburg were strongholds of Prussian beliefs.
During the war, archaeological expeditions were sent to Bulgaria, Croatia, Greece, Poland, and Rumania with the collaboration of local authorities.
The Ahnenerbe also conducted similar operations in occupied Russia and North Africa.
They were also very active in the Far East, mostly in Tibet (see below), but the Ahnenerbe did send an expedition to Kafiristan.

GERMANIC  MAGIC
Himmler deployed Special Unit H to discover any traces of old Germanic magic that survived the witch-hunts, while Archive Department 7 administered book stocks, archived the confiscated materials, and then assessed their value.
Special Unit H would eventually loot more than 140,000 books on the subject of the occult from libraries across Nazi-occupied Europe, and among the manuscripts they found was a copy of von Juntzt´s Unaussprechlichen Kulten and a version of the Necronomicon written in ancient Gothic.
These books told of a race much older than mankind: the ‘Ancient Ones’.
The top-secret Occult Corps (Geheimnisvolle Korps) was soon established as the Paranormal Division of SS-Hauptsturmführer Wolfram Sievers’ Ancestral Inheritence Office (Ahnenerbe), which was responsible for investigating all aspects of ancient German tradition.
The Occult Corps incorporated into one organization the Thule Society, the Vril Society and the German branch of Crowley’s OTO.
Despite her Slavic blood, Madame Helena Blavatsky’s granddaughter Marianna Blavatsky was then recruited as its High Priestess. (Allegedly the Ahnernerbe traced the Blavatsky roots back to the Rhos – Scandanavian Vikings that had come into contact with the Slavs in 860 A.D.)
From Archive Department 7’s stolen texts Marianna learned that violence begot a form of orgone energy which, if properly seized, could be forged into magical effects.
Thousands died to help Marianna and her Meta-Psychic Operatives in the Bio-Energy/Psi-Enhancement Division better understand and control the new “blood magic” they had discovered.
Now under the direction of the SS Paranormal Division, Special Unit H continued to comb German-occupied territories in search of more arcane knowledge and magical artifacts. Archaeological expeditions were sent to the bottom of the Baltic Sea hoping to find some lost artifacts or magical items of Ultima Thule.
The Spear of Destiny, the weapon that was used to pierce the side of the Messiah while he was nailed to the cross, was brought from Vienna in 1938, but early attempts to recover the Lost Ark of the Covenant in 1936 and the Holy Grail in 1938, however, were less successful.
The original base of operations for the Occult Corps was Castle Wewelsburg in Westphalia, which Himmler bought as a ruin and rebuilt over the next 11 years at a cost of 13 million marks. The central banqueting hall contained a vast round table with throne-like seats to accommodate Himmler and 12 of his favorite officers, making his modern-day “Order of the Black Knights” a dark covenant of 13.
The Black Guard, the toughest, smartest and most dangerous officers from the SS, occupied the upper echelon of Himmler’s personal guard.
Beneath Castle Wewelsburg was the “Hall of the Dead” where plinths stood around a stone table and the covenant could practice their occult magic in secret.

T H E   K A R O T E C H I A

The roots of the Karotechia are deep and varied.
When the unit was officially created within the Ahnenerbe in 1939, it drew its members from within the Ahnenerbe, the disbanded Thule Gesellschaft, and a little known section of Archive Department VII of the Reichssicherheitshauptamt (RSHA, Reich Security Central Office) called Sonderkommando-H.
Created in 1935 under direct orders from Heinrich Himmler, Sonderkommando-H (for Hexen, German for witches) collected records of the Catholic Inquisition against witchcraft from libraries in Germany and Austria.
These records were collated into the Hexenkartothek, a catalog of over 33,000 index cards, each providing the details of a victim of the witch trials.
While most of the Hexenkartothek concentrated on witch trials in Germany, Sonderkommando-H researched cases from as far away as India and Mexico.
The research of Sonderkommando-H was meant to provide propaganda that would justify an SS crackdown on the Catholic Church, as well as discover the ancient Germanic religion that Himmler believed had been eradicated by the Inquisition.
The SS officers that collected the Hexenkartothek came to informally refer to themselves as the “Kartothekia,” and what they discovered were arcane formulae and necromantic rituals.
Enough was learned by Sonderkommando-H to create what some one hundred and fifty known witches, warlocks, and alchemists termed “the resuscitating of ye vital saylts.”
This formulae, it has been claimed, was first successfully put to effect by SS-Hauptscharführer Dieter Scheel when his team resurrected 17th century sorceror Jurgen Tess.
It was this incident that created a new department within the Ahnenerbe to exploit the occult in service to the Reich: the Karotechia.
Occult research had been conducted by various arms of the SS for quite some time before the creation of the Karotechia.
In the Ahnenerbe, the Abteilung zur Überprüfung der Sogenannten Geheimwissenschaften (literally, Department for the Examination of So-Called Secret Sciences) had analyzed the occult since 1933.
Also since 1933, Karl Maria Wiligut and his Department for Pre- and Early History had been Himmler’s premier occultist, a position that was undermined soon after the creation of the Karotechia.
Suitable members of these organizations were drawn to the Karotechia, as were former members of the Thule Gesellschaft and scholars from Nazi-allied regimes and occupied countries.

More so than any other group researching the paranormal for their government during the Second World War, the Karotechia sought to exploit the occult to its fullest.
With the full backing of the SS and the Nazi state, they raided the libraries and museums of Europe in an insatiable search for arcane power.
No avenue of study was left unexplored.
The Karotechia was shielded from inquiry within and without by direct patronage of Himmler, who passed certain information on to Hitler.
Members of the Karotechia were known by their initials in SS documents, and by their rune-names in internal correspondence, the names given upon induction into the unit.
They were identified by the Sonnenrad runes worn on the lapels of their black Allgemeine-SS uniforms.
This insignia and the men that wore it were equally feared and respected throughout the SS.

The Karotechia never had a central headquarters, as each project maintained its own base of operations, reporting directly to Himmler.
When the Karotechia was required to perform some ancient Germanic ritual for Himmler, they were called to the SS-order castle at Wewelsburg.
However, the isolation and provincial boredom of the place meant that the Karotechia officers preferred to conduct their operations elsewhere.
This also allowed them to operate with great independence.

Never as successful as their reputation belied, the Karotechia did score a number impressive victories during the war.
In particular was the discovery of a Gothic version of the ‘Necronomicon’ in the spring of 1944, which opened up several new projects to exploit its potential.
Most of these projects ended in failure, causing great destruction, such as the incident at Castle Naudabaum in early 1945, where seven Karotechia officers and seventy-three support personnel were killed and the castle destroyed during an abortive attempt to summon an extraterrestrial being called Azathoth.
This disaster lead to the final Karotechia operation of the war: Aktion Götterdammerung, the attempt by the Karotechia to reenact the Naudabaum disaster without aborting the sequence to summon Azathoth.
Aktion Götterdammerung, however, failed.

THE AHNENERBE – UFOs & ALIENS

click here for ‘UFOs – Mystery and Meaning
a study of the UFO and alien abduction phenomena











_______________________________________


TIBET

A significant amount of Ahnenerbe research involved Tibet, and was carried out by the Sven Hedin Institute for Inner Asian Research.
The institute was named for the famous Swedish explorer whose memoirs ‘My Life As An Explorer’ were popular worldwide for their tales of Hedin’s travels throughout Tibet.
Hedin’s descriptions of hidden cities deep within the Himalayas were as much a source for Nazi interest in Tibet as Blavatsky’s theosophical vision of the East.
Though never an official member of the Ahnenerbe (the old explorer was in his seventies during the war), Hedin corresponded with the organization and was present when the Institute for Inner Asian Research was formally established in Munich on January 1943.
Hedin’s closest contact in the Ahnenerbe was Ernst Schäfer, who commanded the Institute for Inner Asian Research and was eventually responsible for all scientific projects within the Ahnenerbe.

Under the influence of Haushofer and the Thule Society, the Ahnenerbe sent annual expeditions to Tibet from 1926 to 1943.
Their mission was first to find and then to maintain contact with the Aryan forefathers in Shambhala and Agharti, hidden subterranean cities beneath the Himalayas.
Adepts there were the guardians of secret occult powers, especially vril, and the missions sought their aid in harnessing those powers for creating an Aryan master race.
Shambhala, however, refused any assistance, but Agharti agreed.
Subsequently, from 1929, groups of Tibetans came to Germany and started lodges known as the Society of Green Men.
In connection with the Green Dragon Society in Japan, through the intermediary of Haushofer, they supposedly helped the Nazi cause with their occult powers. Himmler was attracted to these groups of Tibetan-Agharti adepts and as a result encouraged the study of Eastern Occultism within the SS.
In 1937, Himmler decided he could increase the Ahnenerbe’s visibility by sending a large scale expedition to Tibet under the leadership of Ernst Schäfer.
There were rumors of secret tasks that included the SS making overtures to the Reting Regent to lay the groundwork for a German invasion of India through Tibet.

Tibet expedition was also involved in “geophysical” research to prove the Hanns Hörbiger’s “World Ice Theory”, which may have included the search for fossilized remains of “giants” as part of the cosmology of the theory.

The final inventory from the expidition included 20,000 black-and-white photographs, 2,000 colour photographs, 17 head casts and the measurements of 376 people, as well as having sent back specimens of three breeds of Tibetan dogs, rare feline species, wolves, badgers, foxes, animal and bird skins, and the seeds for 1,600 types of barley, 700 varieties of wheat, 700 varieties of oats and hundreds of other types of seeds. In addition, the team had been given a Tibetan mastiff, a gold coin and the robe of a lama (believed by Schäfer to have been worn by the Dalai Lama) to be gifted to Adolf Hitler.
Another interesting acquisition of the expedition was the 108-volume sacred document of the Tibetans, the ‘Kangschur’. 

Schäfer arrived in Munich on August 4, 1939, and was greeted personally by Himmler, who presented him with the SS skull ring and dagger of honour.
Because of the war, Schäfer’s writings about the trip were not published until 1950, under the title ‘Festival of the White Gauze Scarves: A research expedition through Tibet to Lhasa, the holy city of the god realm’.

T H E   W E W E L S B U R G


The centre of the SS, Himmler’s new order of knights, an “aristocracy of soul and blood”, was the Wewelsburg castle.
This was Himmler’s “Camelot”, with SS commanders cast as the Knights of the Round Table.
Rooms were dedicated to figures of Nordic history and mythology like King Arthur. Himmler’s room was dedicated to King Heinrich I, founder of the first German Reich (empire).

Heinrich Himmler even claimed to have been the spiritual successor and reincarnation of Heinrich the Fowler, having established special SS rituals for the old king and having returned his bones to the crypt at Quedlinburg Cathedral.
Himmler even had his personal quarters at Wewelsburg castle decorated in commemoration of Heinrich the Fowler.

Another room was set aside to house the Holy Grail (see left), which was to be searched for all over the world.
Himmler’s goal was to “create a focus point of all the aspirations he had towards religion and science’.

To this end, Himmler set out to re-establish an ancient Aryan religion within Germany in opposition to Christianity, as a basis for Nazi ideology.
Himmler maintained that many sacred symbols had been stolen from a more ancient Aryan religion and set out to restore them.
One such symbol was the Holy Grail.
One leading academic recruited to the Nazi cause was Otto Rahn, the leading German authority on the Holy Grail.
He was brought into the SS to lead the search for it the world over.

Himmler had visited the Wewelsburg on 3 November 1933 and April 1934; the SS took official possession of it in August 1934.

The occultist Karl Maria Wiligut (known in the SS under the pseudonym ‘Weisthor’) accompanied Himmler on his visits to the castle.
Wewelsburg  is a Renaissance castle located in the northeast of North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, in the village of Wewelsburg (the same name as the castle) which is a quarter of the city Büren, Westphalia, in district of Paderborn in the Alme Valley.
In its current form the Wewelsburg was built from 1603 to 1609 as secondary residence for the prince-bishops of Paderborn namely Fürstbischof Dietrich von Fürstenberg.
Significantly, its location is near what was then believed to be the site of the Battle of the Teutoburg Forest.
Legend suggests that the castle held thousands of accused witches during the 17th century, who were tortured and executed within its walls.
During the Seven Years’ War (1756–1763) the basement rooms were probably used as military prison.
Till the end of the prince-episcopalian times in 1802 prison cells existed in a dungeon in the basement of the west tower.

Initially, the Wewelsburg was intended to be a museum and officer’s college for ideological education within the SS, but it was subsequently placed under the direct control of the office of the Reichsführer SS (Himmler) in February 1935.
The impetus for the change of the conception most likely came from Wiligut.
Wewelsburg is a Renaissance castle located in the northeast of North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany, in the village of Wewelsburg (the same name as the castle) which is a quarter of the city Büren, Westphalia, in district of Paderborn in the Alme Valley.
The castle has the outline of a triangle.
After 1934 it was used by the SS under Heinrich Himmler and was to be expanded to the central SS-cult-site.
After 1941 plans were developed to enlarge it to the so-called “Center of the World”.
In 1934 SS-leader Heinrich Himmler signed a 100-year lease with the Paderborn district, initially intending to renovate and redesign the castle as a “Reich SS Leadership School” (“Reichsführerschule SS”).
Who called Himmler’s attention to the castle is unknown, but there is speculation that Karl Maria Wiligut advised him. Wiligut allegedly was inspired by the old Westphalian legend of the “Battle at the birch tree” (Schlacht am Birkenbaum). The saga tells about a future “last battle at the birch tree” in which a “huge army from the East” is beaten decisively by the “West”.
Wiligut supposedly predicted to Himmler that the Wewelsburg would be the “bastion”.
Himmler expected a big conflict between Asia and Europe.
Himmer visited the Wewelsburg for the first time on 3 November 1933.
He was impressed by the triangular shape of the castle (reminicent of an acient spearhead) and the north-south-axis of the castle.
On the same day he decided to restore the castle.
In January 1934 the voluntary labour service started with the rebuilding work
 The first SS commandant of the castle, Manfred von Knobelsdorff, envisioned a kind of Nordic academy.
Scientists in the SS practiced “Germanic applied research” (“germanische Zweckforschung”) at the castle, with a purpose of supporting the racial doctrine of the SS.
Wewelsburg castle was also a center for archaeological excavations in the region.

Fields of activity included study of prehistory and ancient history (directed by Wilhelm Jordan, who led excavations in the region), study of medieval history and folklife (directed by Karlernst Lasch from March 1935), build-up of the “Library of the Schutzstaffel in Wewelsburg” (directed by Dr. Hans Peter des Coudres), and strengthening the National Socialist worldview in the village of Wewelsburg (directed by Walter Franzius, this included such work as renovation of a timbered house in the center of the village of Wewelsburg—the “Ottens Hof”—between 1935 and 1937 for use as a village community center; Franzius also undertook various other architectural tasks).
Also working at the castle were proponents of a kind of SS esotericism consisting of Germanic mysticism, an ancestor cult, worship of runes, and racial doctrines: Himmler, for example, adapted the idea of the Grail to create a heathen mystery for the SS.

The redesign of the castle by the SS referred to certain characters in the legends of the Grail: for example, one of the arranged study rooms was named Gral (“Grail”), and others, König Artus (“King Arthur”), König Heinrich (“King Henry”), Heinrich der Löwe (“Henry the Lion”), Widukind, Christoph Kolumbus (“Christopher Columbus”), Arier (“Aryan”), Jahrlauf (“course of the seasons”), Runen (“runes”), Westfalen (“Westphalia”), Deutscher Orden (“Teutonic Order”), Reichsführerzimmer (“Room of the Empires Leader(s)”; “Reichsführer-SS”, or “the Empire’s Leader of the SS” was Himmler’s title), Fridericus (probably in reference to Frederick II of Prussia), tolle Christian (probably referring to Christian the Younger of Brunswick, Bishop of Halberstadt), and Deutsche Sprache (“German language”).

In addition to these study rooms, the SS created guest rooms, dining room, auditorium, a canteen kitchen, and a photographic laboratory with an archive.

Oak was used to panel and furnish these rooms.
All interior decoration was shaped by an SS sensibility in art and culture; the preferred elements of design were based on runes, swastikas, and Germanically interpreted sense characters.
Tableware, decorated with runes and Germanic symbols of salvation, was manufactured specifically for Wewelsburg castle.
Himmler’s private collection of weapons was housed in the castle.
From 1939, the castle was also furnished with miscellaneous objects of art, including prehistoric objects (chiefly arranged by the teaching and research group “Das Ahnenerbe”), objects of past historical eras, and works of contemporary sculptors and painters (mainly works by such artists as Karl Diebitsch, Wolfgang Willrich, and Hans Lohbeck—that is, art comporting with the aesthetics of National Socialism).
In 1934, the eastern castle bridge was built and the castle moat lowered.
The exterior plaster was removed to make the building look more castle-like.
The following year, a smithy was established on the ground floor of the North Tower for manufacture of the wrought-iron interior decoration of the castle.
The western and southern wings of the castle were rebuilt between 1934 and 1938; the eastern, between 1936 and 1938. The first new building, the guardhouse (Wachgebäude), was constructed next to the castle in 1937; historical documentation of “Wewelsburg 1933–1945″ has been housed there since 1982.
The North Tower was strengthened and rebuilt between 1938 and 1943.
The first commandant of the castle (Burghauptmann von Wewelsburg), from August 1934, was Obersturmbannführer (equivalent to Lieutenant Colonel) Manfred von Knobelsdorff.
Von Knobelsdorff was succeeded by Siegfried Taubert on 30 January 1938.
So called “SS-marriage-consecrations” (SS-Eheweihen) took place at the castle.
Since 1936 Himmler (who was often present at the castle) wanted more and more to expand the Wewelsburg to be a representative and ideological center of the SS Order.
At first planned to be an educational training center, during the 1930s more and more measures were taken to transform the castle into an isolated central meeting place for the highest ranking SS-officers.
For financing the project Himmler founded in 1936 the “Gesellschaft zur Förderung und Pflege deutscher Kulturdenkmäler e.V.” (association for the advancement and maintenance of German cultural relics (registered association)) and assigned the association as building developer.
Till 1943 the project cost 15 million Reichsmark.
Due to a decree of 13 January 1943 all building projects which were unimportant for the war—including the Wewelsburg—had to be stopped.
Meetings of SS-Leaders
Swearing-in ceremonies were planned at the castle.
Meetings of SS-Group-Leaders (equivalent to lieutenant-generals) at so called “spring conferences” were planned since 1939.
Towards the end of the war Himmler ordered that Wewelsburg castle should become the “Reichshaus der SS-Gruppenführer” (Reich-House of the SS-Gruppenführer).

T H E   D E A T H S   H E A D    R I N G S

In 1938 Himmler ordered the return of all death’s head rings (German: Totenkopfringe – SS Ehrenringe) of dead SS-men and officers.
They were to be stored in a chest in the castle.
This was to symbolize the ongoing membership of the deceased in the SS-Order.
The whereabouts of the approximately 11,500 rings after the Second World War is unclear, but it has been suggested that they were entombed in a local mountain by blasting closed the entrance to a cave.

S S   F U T U R E   P L A N S
   

Himmler’s plans included making the Wewlesberg the “center of the new world” (“Zentrum der neuen Welt”) following the “final victory”.

The monumental estate was never realized; only detailed plans and models exist.
The installation of a 15 to 18-meter-high wall in the shape of a three-quarter circle with 18 towers including the actual castle area centred on the North Tower of the castle, 860 m in diameter, was planned.
The real purpose of the project was never clearly defined.
Inside of this castle area buildings were planned for the exclusive purposes of the Reichsführung-SS (Reich leadership SS).
The main road of an SS village was also to be centered on the North Tower of the castle with a diameter of 1270 m.
This road was to be connected with three radial roads and gates with the castle area.
The residential area was to be placed in the north-west, the center of the village in the north and the SS-barracks in the west of the castle area; between the barracks and village a villa colony for higher SS-leaders; in the southwest farmsteads.
In the architectural plans from 1941 the estate had the shape of a spear pointing towards the north; the 2 km long access avenue with four tree rows road looks like a spear shaft with an access to the Reichsautobahn (freeway) Rhynern-Kassel in the south (see architectural drawing).
The plan from 1944 shows the castle as the top of a triangular estate surrounded by further buildings (see another drawing and model from 1944).
The plans also included a “hall of the High Court of the SS” (Saal des Hohen Gerichtes der SS), streets, parkways, magnificent buildings, a dam with a power plant, freeway accesses and an airport.
Inside the North Tower two ritual rooms were created (1938–1943):
The “Obergruppenführersaal” (SS Generals’ Hall) and the “vault” (Gruft).
Their ceilings were cast in concrete and faced with natural stone.
On the upper floors a further hall was planned.
The axis of this tower was to be the actual “Center of the World” (Mittelpunkt der Welt).
A preparation for an eternal flame in the vault, a swastika ornament in its zenith and a sun wheel embedded in the floor of the “Obergruppenführersaal” lie on this axis.
Both redesigned rooms were never used.

T H E   W E W E L S B U R G   C R Y P T

Where primary a cistern was a vault after the model of Mycenaean domed tombs was hewn into the rock which possibly was to serve for some kind of commemoration of the dead.
The room is unfinished. The floor was lowered 4.80 meters.
In the middle of the vault probably a bowl with an eternal flame was planned.
Around the presumed place for the eternal flame at the wall twelve pedestals are placed.
Their meaning is unknown. Above the pedestals, wall niches existed.
In the zenith of the vault as a swastika.
The swastika (Hakenkreuz) was understood as “the symbol of the creative, active life” (das Symbol des schaffenden, wirkenden Lebens) and as “race emblem of Germanism” (Rasseabzeichen des Germanentums).
The vault has special acoustics and illumination.

T H E   W E W E L S B U R G   M O S A I C


“From the heavens once bright stars are cast down,
Vanquished from the skies high above;
Raging the blaze grows, searing ash ascends high,
From fires wrath the life feeding flame;
Flame rising upward and scorched become the skies,
The Sun turns Black and Earth sinks to the sea, rising anew.”

Voluspa, Hávamál
The Schwartze Sonne, as it is used within Germanic mysticist esotericism and Neo-Nazism today, is based primarily on the design of a floor mosaic at the castle of Wewelsburg (built 1603), a Renaissance castle located in the northwest of North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany.

The mosaic is located in the ground floor room of the North-Tower of the castle, in the so-called Obergruppenführersaal (“Obergruppenführer hall”, completed 1939-1943).
The “Obergruppenführer” (literally: “Upper-Group-Leaders”) were the highest ranking SS-generals.
It is not known if the SS had a special name for the ornament, or if they attributed a special meaning to it.
The sun wheel is significant for the Germanic light- and sun-mysticism which was propagated by the SS.
In their studies on sense characters, the sun apart was interpreted as “the strongest and most visible expression of god”, the number twelve as significant for “the things of the target and the completion”.
The mosaic at Wewelsburg itself is dark green on a whitish/greyish marble floor.
Probably a golden disc was originally located in the middle of the ornament.
Traditional Christianity was to be replaced by a “völkisch” (folkish or racial) cult.
Instead of Christianity, Himmler wanted a moral doctrine derived from the pre-Christian pagan Germanic heritage.
Cultic ceremonies and rituals were part of the everyday life of the SS, and the Wewelsburg was to be a center of a “species-compliant” religion (German: “artgemäße” Religion).
According to studies commissioned by the Third Reich regarding the beliefs of the pre-Christianized Germanic peoples, it was estimated that these pagan ancestors believed in “a grand force or a grand god in the background of the multiplicity of gods and spirits who becomes visible in a multiple way in the universe, on earth and in the life of all beings and facts”.
So the sun was interpreted as “only one, but a very important and big expression (of that force or god) in the surrounding events and in the life of the ancestors”.
The North-Tower of the castle was to be the center of a planned circular estate, 1.27 kilometres in diameter ( see the architectural drawing and model from 1944). The architects called the complex the “Center of the World” from 1941 on.
The North-Tower, which had survived a ruin after 1815, only assumed importance for Himmler starting in the autumn of 1935.
In the process of Himmler establishing the castle as a cult site (an ideological and religious center of the SS), the tower was to serve the highest-ranking SS leaders as a meeting place and probably as location for quasi-religious devotions.
Nothing is known about the possible way and the kind of arrangement of designated ceremonies in the tower—the redesigned rooms were never used.
According to the architects, the axis of the North-Tower was to be the actual “Center of the World”.
The inside of the complete castle was redesigned in a völkish mythological way (see the Wewelsburg SS School).
SS architect Hermann Bartels presented a first draft of plans that envisioned using the North Tower on three different levels:
Where primary a cistern was a vault after the model of Mycenaean domed tombs was created which probably was to serve for some kind of commemoration of the dead.
The room is unfinished. In the middle exists a preparation for an eternal flame.
A “columned hall” was to be constructed on the ground floor for the SS-Obergruppenführer.
The sun wheel–shaped ornament, later called the “Black Sun”, is placed here.
Finally, the upper floors were to be completed as a meeting hall for the entire corps of the SS Gruppenführer (not realized).
However, a meeting in the first floor mosaic room never occurred—the building work at the room was stopped in 1943.
In 1945, when the “final victory” didn’t materialize, the castle was partially blasted and set on fire by the SS, but the two redesigned rooms in the North-Tower stayed intact.
It is not known whether this symbol was placed in the marble floor at Wewelsburg before or after the National Socialist Regime and the taking over of the castle by Himmler.

There is speculation as to whether the symbol was put into the hall by the Nazis or whether it was there a long time before but there is no definitive proof either way.
The plans for the North Tower by SS architect Hermann Bartels make no mention of it. Scholars today are reluctant to say with any certainty why it was put there, or by whom.
Because the ceilings of the North-Tower were cast in concrete and faced with natural stone during the Third Reich, it is more likely that the ornament was created during the Himmler era.
There is, although its origins are unknown, an identical rendition of the Wewelsburg Schwarze Sonne in a wall painting at a World War II military bunker memorial to Bismarck at Hamburg below a statue of Bismarck (see Bismarck-Monument (Hamburg)).
It is with a central piece incorporating a sunwheel and swastikas and the texts “Nicht durch Reden werden große Fragen entschieden, sondern durch Eisen und Blut” (“Great questions will not be resolved by talk, but by iron and blood”).

T H E  B L A C K  S U N


To insiders, initiates within the Third Reich, the abbreviation “SS” did not stand for “Schutzstaffel” but for the words “Schwarze Sonne”.
“Schwarze Sonne” means “Black Sun” in English.
The Black Sun to these initiated individuals was a physical body like our visible sun except that the Black Sun was not visible to the naked eye.
This Black Sun radiated light which was invisible to the human eye.
The concept of the Black Sun seems to have bordered upon the religious.
It was said to be located at the center of our galaxy.
The earth along with every other celestial body in the gallaxy rotate around this Black Sun.
The Black Sun is sometimes represented symbolically as a black sphere out of which eight arms extend.
Such is its most famous rendition on the mosaic floor at Wewelsburg Castle which served as the spiritual home of the SS.
The more astute reader will recognize at this point that the swastika, the very icon of the Nazi
Party, was itself is a Black Sun symbol.
The point is that concept of the Black Sun is not just Nazi mumbo-jumbo, for the Black Sun is in reality a cold, collapsing implosive vortex as described by Viktor Schauberger (see left) or Karl Schappeller.
It gathers and densities yet is as cold as interstellar space.
It does generate unseen radiation in the form of cosmic, gamma and x-ray radiation.
This is possible because in spite of what was said by some, the Black Sun is very real.
In fact, the Black Sun is the most powerful force yet observed in our universe.
Forty or so years after the demise of the SS, scientists, in this case astronomers, have located the Black Sun at the very center of our galaxy.
In fact, we are all familiar with it by another name. Today, we call it a “black hole”.
It is the center of great spiral vortex of stars which draws in matter and energy and
generates the aforementioned radiations near it periphery.
The Black Sun is, in reality, a huge system or perhaps it could even be called a huge machine.
We and our entire galaxy are all part of this machine whirling through space.
All the matter it contains, the stars, planets, asteroids, comets, meteors and so forth, are all bound in a context of energy.
Our galaxy, with the Black Sun as its heart, operates as a vast machine using all the matter and energy contained therein and using every law of physics at once in its operation.
Its counterpart, the centrifugal vortex which remains unseen, may even be a doorway into another dimension into which this matter and energy from our dimension spew forth like a fountain.
It is the same kind of implosive vortex from which the Germans were about to build a “new science” based upon creative, living energy as we have discussed.
It may have been the same force which was to propel their flying discs.
Yet who in the media would dare give credit to those associated with the 3rd Reich for making these
connections so long ago? In fact, who in the media would even point out this connection today? None.
As far as they are concerned, one is politically incorrect to ever say or imply that the Nazis thought of or developed anything of value. To do so would be to commit professional suicide.
Even if one wanted to make this connection in print or film form, no politically correct publisher or producer would touch it, at least in English.
Not only does the media fail to give credit where credit is due, or to even mention or explain this concept, but anyone seeking to look into such concepts runs the real risk of being branded a new-Nazi.

T H E   O B E R G R U P P E N F Ü H R E R S A A L

On the ground floor the “Obergruppenführersaal” (literally translated: Upper-Group-Leaders-Hall (refers to the original twelve highest ranking SS-generals)), a hall with twelve columns joined by a groined vault, twelve window- and door-niches and eight longitudinal windows was created.
The rebuilding work stopped in 1943.
It is believed it was to serve as a representative hall for the SS-Obergruppenführer.

In the center of the marbled whitish/grayish floor a dark green sun wheel (Sonnenrad – Swartze Sonne or Black Sun) is embedded . The axis of the sun wheel consisted of a circular plate of pure gold, which was to symbolize the center of the castle and thus the entire “Germanic world empire”.

The sun wheel had a relation to Germanic light and sun-mysticism which was propagated by the SS.

There is a Latin inscription above the entrance “Domus mea domus orationis vocabitur” (My house is called a house of prayer).
The Upper Floors
The upper floors were to be completed as a multi-storied hall with a big dome.
It was to be a prestigious meeting hall for the entire corps of the SS-Gruppenführer.

HIMMLER & THE WEWELSBURG

T H E   E N D   O F   T H E   A H N E N E R B E

To avoid Allied bombing, the Ahnenerbe relocated to Waischenfeld in Franconia on August 1943.
There they remained until American forces took the city in April 1945.
The war ended before the Ahnenerbe found another permanent home, and, during the interim period, a great number of documents were destroyed.
Had the Ahnenerbe survived the war, Himmler planned to use its members to staff an SS-University at Leyden in the Netherlands.
Those that survived the war were either tried for war crimes, or faded back into academia under their own or false names.

One thought on “Himmler, the Ahnenerbe and the Wewelsburg

  1. Wow! This is exacly the same line of thought I have! In my researches about this kind of things [occultism, theories etc.] I have created my own theory about everything. Now I’m seeing that all fits! The nazis focus all their will in gathering these things, they are like a old library forgot and prohibited full of occult knowledge! Nice post, the better and the best i ever see about this subject.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.